Thursday, November 24, 2011

Thanksgiving Day vs Turkey Day vs Shopping

Today is my 36th Thanksgiving. I may not be able to remember all 36, but i do remember some of them. Right now I am sitting in my first apartment just thinking about Thanksgiving and what it is really all about. There seems to be a little controversy on what the day is really celebrated in honor of. Some say it is a day to give thanks (hence Thanks-giving). Some say it is Turkey Day, a day to eat turkey and spend time with your family, friends, and those you love. Some say it is just an overeating day. Some say it is a day to stand in line for hours upon hours to get that one special gift on Black Friday-aka Deal Day. Some say it is a day just to say Thank you for all you have. As I grew up, I feel that food has over powered the holiday a little, stress as well. It was all about who gets what left overs and how much? Who will make what and how much? In my family, one person always seemed to be the one responsible for most of all the hardwork. That's a lot to ask of one person. But I also think that though the food may have been at the fore front of many Thanksgivings, I do believe that the time we all spent together was very special. We didn't always state what we were thankful for, but we knew that we were family and enjoyed the time we were spending together. We were family. This year there is a lot of controversy over the stores opening tonight, yes on Thanksgiving to start the Black Friday deals early. Shouldn't Thanksgiving be about family and spending time with them and give thanks? Well who says standing in a long line for hours with a friend or family memeber isn't special and meaningful. Someone standing in line for all this time to Maybe get a special gift they want for a special someone. Isn't that in a way saying Thank You. Maybe today is about all of it-giving thanks-eating turkey, over eating a little (or whatever special food)-spending time with family-standing in long lines for deals-say thank you for everything you have (does it really matter exactly how you say it?). Maybe it's one or some combination of all of these. Isn't what really matters is that we do what ever we always do? Isn't is really about tradition? Tradition is an important part about today-remembering the past ones and trying to make the present one just a little better and exciting than last time. Well that's what I think about thanksgiving. Every Thanksgiving I try to remember what I am thankful for, but I get so overwhelmed with how much I really have, when I actually sit down and think it over (expecially if I am not down about something else). So here goes...I am very thankful for the following:
1. My favorite aunt: She does absolutely everything for everyone, especially me. She is my best friend, sister, aunt. Someone I look up to and will always be in debt to for all she has done for me. I wouldn't be the same person without her.
2.My mom: Though she has spent the last 8 Thanksgivings in heaven, I am still thankful I had her as my mommy. She was the best and I miss her everyday. She always did the cutest things for me.
3. My dad: for always being my dad and sending me little notes when I was a kid-ever day for lunch in school. And many more.
4. Grandparents: All my grandparents have hit a special part in my heart.
5. Aunts and uncles: I could go to some of my aunts with questions I needed answered.
6. Cousins: Love all them. I have one girl cousin who is more like a sister and one cousin like a brother and they hold a very special place in my heart as well.
7. All my friends: two that are married have really been there for me and we have gotten very close over the last two years and others that are so special to me. I am so lucky to have so many close friends.
8. Loves: each of you have made an imprint on my heart and have helped me become who I am today. Gumby-you made me realize some things I really need in a relationship. The Big Red Truck, you made me believe in butterflies and magic again.
9.Job-I have one and don't hate it.
10. My new apt: so excited to decorate and have something of my own.
11. Car: I have two.
12. Things: I have lots of them...thank you!
13. Thank you to anyone who reads this. I am thankful for that too!
See I consider myself very fortunate. Sometimes I lose sight of this when I am stressed, heartbroken, or lonely, but my fortune is out there. I know this. So whatever your Thanksgiving brings just remember one word and one word only-TRADITION!

No comments:

Post a Comment